|The following photos were kindly sent by
Stephen Oxford, who is
Secretary to the
Stephen has produced an informative booklet about the
Grangewood Park is an extensive area of
parkland and woodland in South Norwood, London, bounded
by Grange Road, Wharncliffe Road, and Ross Road. It
covers an area of just over 27 ³⁄₄ acres and is managed by the
London Borough of Croydon.
It was originally the grounds of "Grange Wood",
home of wealthy iron manufacturer, scientist and
inventor Charles Hood. The house was built in 1861, when
the grounds were laid out. The house and grounds were
bought by Croydon Corporation in 1900. The house became
a museum and the grounds a public park. The house fell
into disrepair and was demolished in 1960, but the
grounds remain as a much-loved public park.
It seems likely that the perimeter fencing and gates
were installed by Croydon Council after they took over
the estate in 1900. They are a fine example of Bayliss,
Jones and Bayliss's wrought iron work, which hopefully
will remain for many years to come.