In 1947 he discovered an old
blacksmith's shop in Seisdon, South Staffordshire, just to
the west of Wolverhampton, with space for both workshop and
Although very dilapidated, he decided
that it would fit the bill. So, for the price of £60 and a
lot of hard work, Jack and Molly set about making their home
for the foreseeable future.
Whilst continuing his employment at
Whattons in Wolverhampton, Jack developed a workshop
complete with basic engineering facilities at the 'Old
Smithy', during the evenings and at weekends.
In 1948, keen to participate in the
post war resurgence of motor sport, Jack built himself a
single-seat hill-climb/sprint special based on an MG L-Type Magnette sourced from a local breaker's yard.
The Turner MG Special was campaigned
throughout 1948 -1949 at Shelsley Walsh and Prescott
hill-climbs and at Brighton and Weston-super-Mare Speed
The 'Old Smithy', Seisdon.