Joseph and Thomas Gough traded as Gough Brothers, from a
factory that was located at the junction of Wolverhampton Street and
Wellington Road, Bilston. They started trading in 1892 and produced a
range of bicycles including the 'Midland Mail'.
They also built a number of powered machines
'Minerva Motor', a motorcycle with a top speed of 30m.p.h. In
1901 it sold for
£38.7s.6d. Other models included the 'Components' motor tricycle which had a
2¼hp. engine, and sold for £75. A motorised quadricycle
version was also produced, which sold for £105. The machines
were very expensive and not many were produced.
The business closed
in 1903. Joseph Gough, who was born in 1868, died in 1941.
He was a prominent member of the Bilston Bicycle Cub.