Mr. C. H. Shacklock, who had previously been manager at the
Humber cycle factory in Wolverhampton, sold
motor vehicles from his Manby Street premises in Wolverhampton, including American Locomobile steam cars. It seems that he built several motorcycles
including the one described in this article. In 1916 he designed and
built a motorcycle with a transverse 'V' twin engine, friction,
then final chain drive, and enclosed
moving parts. A friction disc was moved across the face of a driven disc to give a
number of gear ratios.
The 1916 Shacklock transverse 'V' twin. Courtesy
of the late
The friction drive and engine. Courtesy of the late Jim Boulton.
The whole of the mechanism consisting of engine,
friction gear, and frame-carrying members, could be taken out of the main
frame by the removal of about six nuts. The 8hp. J.A.P. engine was set
across the frame to bring the crankshaft in direct line with the driving
disc. A large diameter steel wheel was attached to the end of the main
shaft, which in turn drove the friction disc. The driving disc was
recessed at the centre so that a free engine position could be obtained.
The driven disc was mounted on a squared shaft, set
transversely in the frame, and made to slide laterally by the sector
arm, operated by a vertical rod, connected to a hand controlled lever on
the top tube.
A chain sprocket for driving the rear wheel was attached
to one end of the transverse shaft. The gear ratios were 4½,
7, and 9½ to 1, although top gear alone was suitable for most sidecar
work. All of the working parts were totally enclosed by two readily
detachable side plates. External contracting brakes were provided for
each wheel, and the silencers were positioned immediately below the two
large aluminium footboards.
The friction drive and
transmission details. Courtesy of the late Jim Boulton.
It is thought that only one
machine was built, possibly because of wartime restrictions, and