John Sharratt was a cycle manufacturer, based at Carters Green,
West Bromwich. In 1911 he built a one-off motorcycle, with a 4½hp.
engine, and a 3-speed hub gear. In 1920 his company, J. Sharratt
& Sons began to produce motorcycles made from readily available
parts. They were built by his sons Gilbert and Gordon, after
Gilbert returned from the armed forces in 1919.
A 1925 Model 'H' with a 150c.c. AZA
engine, and 2-speed gearbox. It sold for £30. Courtesy of the
late Jim Boulton.
Gilbert and Gordon Sharratt on a
Sharratt combination. Courtesy of the late Jim Boulton.
|By 1923 a comprehensive range
of machines was available, mainly powered by J.A.P. engines,
including the new J.A.P. 147c.c. AZA two-stroke. The machines
included lightweights, combinations, and sporting models, with
engines ranging from a 293c.c. single to a 996c.c. V-twin.
The lightweight machine had an
Albion gearbox, Brampton forks, and a belt drive. It sold for
By 1924 the range became more
limited, concentrating on high quality, four-stroke machines,
some powered by Villiers or MAG engines.
In 1926 they produced an 8hp.
V-twin machine, a 350c.c. side-valve machine, and a 350c.c.
In 1930 the range was reduced to just three
models, all powered by 346c.c. J.A.P. engines. One was a side-valve
machine, the other two were overhead valve machines. The side-valve
machine was discontinued in 1931.
Production ended in 1931, by which time
over 100 machines had been built. When motorcycle production ended,
Sharratts became a well-known car dealer.
|Two Sharratt competition riders at
the Carters Green site in the mid 1920s.
Courtesy of the late Jim Boulton.
The motorcycles were used in many sporting
events including dirt track racing, and the once popular motorcycle
football, ridden by members of the West Bromwich Motor Cycle Football