|In the early 1920s L.V.L. (Light Vehicles Limited) based
in Powlett Street, Wolverhampton produced a range of
commercial vehicles based on the firm's 25 to 30 cwt.
chassis. The company's products were first exhibited at the
Glasgow Show in February, 1923, and again at the 1923 Motor
Show, at Olympia.
An L.V.L. 25 to 30 cwt. platform lorry.
|The Scottish display consisted of a 14-seater coach, and
an end-tipping truck, which was sold to
the Eagle Engineering Company. At Olympia, three chassis
were displayed, two with covered van bodies, and another
with a 20-seater coach body. The vehicles attracted a lot of
attention, which resulted in several orders.
An L.V.L. 14-seater coach, operated by the Blackadder
Motor Company, of Falkirk.
Another view of the 14-seater coach.
The 4-speed gearbox that was used as standard on the 25
to 30 cwt.
were powered by a 20 hp. 4-cylinder, Dorman engine, with a
detachable head, and a grilled-tube radiator.
It had pumped
lubrication to the main bearings, a gravity-fed Zenith
carburettor from the petrol tank on the dashboard, a B.T.H.
magneto, an easily removable 4-speed gearbox, and
transmission from a Ferodo-faced cone clutch, to a Hardy
jointed shaft, and a worm gear on the rear axle.
and pedal operated brakes were included, with steel brake
drums on the rear wheels.
The chassis had a wheelbase of 10 feet, and an
overall chassis length of 14 ft. 10 inches.
The back axle, springs, and brake drums that were used on all L.V.L. vehicles.
|The 20-seater coach had antique leather upholstery, and
stone grey paintwork. The seats were arranged in 4 rows,
with doors on the near side, except for a single off side
door for the driver. The coach was fitted with a C.A.V. lighting system,
and Macintosh N.A.P. tyres. The two vans exhibited at Olympia
formed part of an order received from W. D. and H. O. Wills,
the cigarette company. One of the vans had painted replicas
of Gold Leaf Cigarettes on both sides, whereas the other had
a painted representation of Three Castles Cigarettes on each
side. The vans were 6 feet high, and were fitted with a Rotax lighting set.
L.V.L. was run by Mr. E. Genna who had wide experience
of all forms of road transport. Unfortunately sales were
poor, and the firm went into voluntary liquidation in 1926.
An L.V.L. 30 cwt. van.
Return to the List