AARON ADEY, 80 GOMER STREET, WEST WILLENHALL
Established in 1890 as manufacturer of rim, dead, combination, gate
locks and night latches. In the 1930s was run by Aaron Adey who was
later joined by his sons Ron and Cyril. (Fred Birch 31/3/2000).
Still in existence in 1953, but not in 1970. Nothing else known.
ANGLO AMERICAN LOCK COMPANY, CHEAPSIDE, WILLENHALL.
||The firm was started by Charles Leonard Nott
c1900. He had previously worked for H. & T. Vaughan.
The company secretary was Elsa Norman, and her brother, Edgar
Norman, was works manager.
Mr. Nott lived with his wife at
Handsworth, Birmingham. His wife's maiden name was Ferguson and
they were Quakers. They had a three story building in
They made the DREADNOUGHT padlock and numerous warded and
other padlocks. Some of these were described as American
Pattern, although British made.
|Some were clearly copies of Yale designs and were
marked "ANGLO AMERICAN LOCK COMPANY WILLENHALL". They
appear to be mostly from the bottom end of the Yale range. They
also made rim night latches.
On this letterhead (left) of 1926 the proprietor is named as
C. Leonard Nott; and the text refers only to key making.
Courtesy of Trevor Dowson.
A letterhead from 1928.
Charles Nott died in 1940 and the company was taken over
by his sister, Miriam Nott. She continued with the business until
the mid 1950s when they ceased trading.
They were not listed in a trade
directory for 1953. The goodwill of the company was passed to A & E
The three story building in Cheapside, Willenhall, was
then used by various companies until it was converted into flats in the
.(Ref. LMNL No 43 [Lock Museum News Letter]) (Locks
and Keys No 9).
GEORGE ANSLOW, 123-130 NEWHALL STREET,
The firm was established in 1885 by George Anslow who
lived at 130A Newhall Street, Willenhall. He built a factory
next door and specialised in the manufacture of rim and dead locks.
He patented a mechanism for operating the latch bolt, 6 June 1888 No.
An advert from 1954.
They started to manufacture the "NEWHALL" cylinder night latch and
became members of the Cylinder Lock Manufacturers Association (CLMA) in
1931. Mr Anslow was still representing them at a meeting in April
1938. At this time they employed 40 people. George's son, Roland,
also worked for the company.
An advert from 1955.
|Before the start of the Second World War in 1939 the business was
taken over by the Pearson brothers, Sid and Bill, who added mortice
locks to the range but ceased making the cylinder night latch. In
1965 they purchased the padlock makers H. W. CLARK (q.v.,) Wednesfield
Road Willenhall. (Ref. LMNL 14 & 41.)
This advert, provided by Trevor Dowson, is dated 1981.
|The advert on the right says that the lock shown was made "some hundred
years ago" and is signed "George Anslow".
Trevor Dowson says that it was made by the brother of the original
founder, as an exhibition item (and that it is now on
permanent loan to the lock museum).
|The business continued to be run throughout the 1970s and 80s
by Bill's sons, Garth, who died in 1998, and Michael.
1991 Michael sold out
to ABT-Gibbons, who were by that time members of the Frederick Cooper
Most of the Newhall range of locks was then
By 1996 all of the Newhall range had been
An advert from 1958.
Courtesy of David Parsons.
An advert from 1861.
JOHN ARNOLD & COMPANY, LOWER LICHFIELD STREET, WILLENHALL
An advert from 1865.
ASH AND ROGERS, ASHTREE WORKS, BENTLEY LANE, WALSALL.
||A manufacturer of wardrobe and cupboard locks, under
Asro and Ashtree trade names. Set up by Mr Ash and Mr
Rogers, one of whom was knocked over by a vehicle while on a
business trip and died from his injuries. First noted,
by Jim Evans, as in existence in1921.
illustrations, supplied by Trevor Dowson, come from a
catalogue of 1940.
|Two of the keys show the word "ASRO" with "regd in
UK" beneath them; and three of the locks show the word
"ASRO" contained within a triangle, also with the words
"regd in uk", indicating that they claimed the word "Asro",
in any form, as a trade mark.
In 1936 they were at Ashtree Works, Pargetter Street,
Walsall. They moved to new works in Bentley Lane and were
eventually taken over by a furniture manufacturer who was their largest
The name eventually disappeared, although some of the
production could have been carried out by a new company Ashtree (Locks
and Hardware) & Co., Birchills Trading Estate, Walsall who were owned by
J R Goodman (Bloxwich) Ltd in 1973.
ASSOCIATED BRASSFOUNDERS (BIRMINGHAM) LTD. BIRMINGHAM
Manufacturers of the EXCEL cylinder lock. In 1937
a report to the CLMA stated that Warshaw & Sons were understood to be
interested in the company and that Belgian capital was involved. They
placed an order for cases with W P Edmonds, while intending to make
their own cylinders.
They made the Excel lock in which the case, staple
cylinder and other parts were all die-castings. In 1938 they applied to
join the CLMA.
By 1953 they had moved to new premises at Willesden
Works, Old Oak, London when they were also making a brass cabinet lock.
They were still in existence in 1959.
SAMUEL ASTON, 21 ST JOHN'S STREET,
|This advert, dated 1884, is from the Locksmith's
There is no record of which publication it came from. It is
the only known record of this firm.
The advert records an aspect of life at the time, when most
poorer people would have dressed in second hand clothes.
It also tells us something of what St. John's Street was like at
the time. The Astons were just a couple of door along from
Easthope's interior decor shop and bicycle works; and not far
from Mander's varnish works.
Mrs. Aston may have greater prominence than Mr. Aston in this
advert because of the publication's target audience. But
whatever the case, remarks about who wears the trousers in that
house would not have been appreciated.
ATLAS MANUFACTURING CO. ST ANN’S ROAD,
In 1953 listed as manufactures of rim, mortice and
latches. At one time could have manufactured cylinder night latches
under the brand name ALTUS and APEX? (Or was this G.Spencer?).
Later went into the manufacture of cabs for trucks etc. Not in
existence in 1914 but still going in 1936 and 1970.
||This notice appeared in The
Ironmonger Guide, 1950, trade marks section. What the
connection is, if any, between the company at Stamford Hill
(otherwise unknown) and that at Willenhall, is not known.
history of Charles Aubin and the Aubin Trophy
Locks and Safes
the list of makers