|The company was founded in 1910 by Alfred Owen,
John Tunner Rubery, and Mr. Bornand at 16 Willenhall Road,
It was one of the first chain manufacturers in the
country to make chain by machine.
The firm moved to Holyhead Road, Moxley in 1940, and
during the Second World War produced amongst other things,
anchor chains for Sunderland flying boats, and chains for
Bailey Bridges, aircraft, motor vehicles, and artillery.
Wire rod being fed into a chain-making
machine. From the Christmas 1950 edition of the staff
The Moxley factory.
The electric welding machines and
their operators. From the Christmas 1950 edition of the
staff magazine "Goodwill".
|Wire or rod, depending upon the thickness of chain
required, was fed into a machine to be cut to size, bent to
shape, turned, and joined to the last link made.
Afterwards it was fed into an electric welding machine where
the join on each link was welded.
After being tested and inspected, the chains were
polished in revolving drums containing pieces of scrap
leather and sawdust to give a fine finish. Chain was
produced for aircraft, motor vehicles, ships, railways, and
Completed lengths of chain were packed into wooden
barrels ready to be transported to many parts of the
Above: Mr. C. H. Secker, Managing
Director. From the Christmas
1950 edition of the staff magazine "Goodwill".
Left: Calibration and
testing. From the Christmas 1950 edition of the staff