On the 24th March, 1845, a vestry
meeting was held to consider the formation of the parish
of St. Luke, in Bilston, with a parish church in Pinfold Street. The idea was well received and so the scheme
was proposed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for
England, on the 20th April. This resulted in an order
dated the 8th August, 1845 that allowed the formation of
the new parish, which was formed on the 3rd September
Mr. Edward Pugh, Treasurer of the
Local Board of Health, gave £1,500 to the Commissioners
towards the setting up of the church, including £50 annually for the vicar's
salary. The vicar would be nominated by Edward Pugh and
the vicars of Wolverhampton, Winchester, Saltley and
Islington. The church was built on the corner of Market
Street and Pinfold Street.
Luke's Church and school. From an old postcard.
The location of the church, school and
Luke's chapel of ease, was built of
stone in the Early English style, in 1852, at a cost of
£4,825, including the vicarage and a school. The church
consisted of a chancel with an organ chamber, a nave,
aisles, a south porch and a tower on the south side with
an octagonal spire containing one bell. The building
could seat 450 people.
Rev. William Prosser M.A., was vicar from
1880 until 1911. His family paid for the church organ,
which was built in 1882 and dedicated to the vicar's
mother, Sophia Amelia Prosser. The church interior was
restored in 1884 at a cost of £500. The work included
the fitting of a new font that was given by the
Rev. William Prosser's father. After
William Prosser's death in
1917, his widow gave a carved oak lectern to the church.
Another view of the church and
school from an old postcard. Courtesy of David Clare.
St. Luke's football
team. 1909 - 1910 season. The gentleman on
the extreme left on the front row, looks
very much like the Rev. William Prosser.
Courtesy of David Clare.
From Kelly's 1912 Staffordshire
From Kelly's 1912 Staffordshire Directory.
A description of the church school
from Kelly's 1912 Staffordshire Directory.
In 1934 the spire became unsafe and was removed. The
church survived until closure in 1969, and demolition in
following photos of the church, taken during demolition,
were kindly sent by David Clare and were taken by Mary
Return to the
Read about the Rev. William Prosser