Palethorpes

Palethorpes was once a well known and well respected Tipton company, producing sausages and cooked meat products, based on the corner of Park Lane West and Mayfair Gardens, at the south-eastern corner of Victoria Park. The business was founded in 1852 by Henry Palethorpe, who worked as a butcher in Birmingham. He began to produce high quality sausages, which became very popular. In 1896 he purchased the old Park Lane Brewery in Tipton and moved his business there. He claimed to be the largest producer of sausages in the world.

During the First World War the company prospered by selling large quantities of canned meat products to the British Army. After the war, sales declined because of restrictions on meat sales due to the large amount of imported meat products and competition from other producers. The appearance of supermarkets, which led to changes in people’s shopping habits made things worse. Even though the company’s products were well appreciated locally, sales never recovered. The company decided to build a new factory in Market Drayton and closed the Tipton factory in 1968. The site is now occupied by the houses in Boscobel Avenue.


Palethorpes' model factory. Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Courtesy of Robert Hazel.


Return to the
previous page