Wolverhampton once had its own
directory that covered many aspects of life in the town,
in the form of the Wolverhampton Red Book and Directory,
published by Alfred Hinde, from 1892 until 1960.
The directories were mainly
published annually, but some of the editions were
There were sections on
Wolverhampton’s history, a chronology, details of the
council and council departments, along with council
services, council committees and council-run
There were also details of local
schools, churches, clubs and institutions, a trades’
directory, lists of prominent private residents, adverts
There were over 50 editions, all of
which sold well.
The rights were purchased by
Kelly’s Directories Limited and the first Kelly’s
Wolverhampton Directory appeared in 1961.