Articles from the College's first students' union magazine. Thanks to David Parsons, who has a copy of the magazine.


The front cover. Courtesy of David Parsons.


Greetings to the S.T.U. Magazine and to all who have played a part in bringing it into being; to the Editor and contributors, of course, but to many others also. We should need to go far back to recall everyone who has thought of it, hoped for it, and by varied service to the Union helped to make it possible now.

Long ago the then Secretary, Mr. A. S. Jordan, cherished the idea of the Union magazine. But our one ready writer of those days, like Shakespeare, spent his time in writing plays for his own company. The College was not so large, and its activities did not cover so wide a field then as now, when surely an Editor can find someone who knows something about anything. I expect that some of us thought that the job of running a magazine, might come to be divided among too few workers. In any event no magazine was started.

Today, my colleague Dr. Henderson, himself a practised writer, has again urged this time upon a willing Council, the value of an organ which will bring together in thought, as the parent Union exists to bring together in person, students of every type and every interest. Mr. Bendall, a recent Chairman of the Union, and over a period of years the leader of its Dramatic Society, readily undertook the honourable but difficult role of first Editor. With the assured backing of the Council and members, the Journal can certainly look for the success which I sincerely wish it.

It is fitting that today the Chairman of the Union should be the once lone champion of the College magazine; Mr. A. S. Jordan.

                                                                                                                                       W. E. FISHER.

The College Principal's address on page 1. Courtesy of David Parsons.

 


This long-awaited and often discussed College Magazine has now appeared, and we all hope it will become a regular feature of the Union's activities in and out of the College. The Students' and Teachers' Union with its total Membership of over 4,000, embracing all shades of thought and opinion, has an important place in the life of the College, and your Union Council are pursuing their task of management of the Union with zeal and enthusiasm.

If this Magazine helps still further to bring before the Student the immense possibilities and scope of the Union, its sponsors will be amply rewarded for all their efforts. We are all very proud of our Union, and prouder still of its purpose. May this College Magazine impart a little of that pride to all Members.

The Students' and Teachers' Union is first of all a democratic organisation, voluntarily administered, and governed entirely by the members themselves through their elected representatives. It exists to provide and promote social activities, sports facilities, and generally to cater for the benefit and general requirements of all Students and Teachers outside the normal instructional life of the College. The Union is the negotiating body with the College Governors and the Education Authorities, and many re­sponsibilities are delegated to it, including the management of the College Refectory.
 
By virtue of a resolution of the College Governors in 1933, the nominal registration fee payable each year by all students is allocated to the funds of the Students' and Teachers' Union, and this forms the main source of the Union's income. An Annual Subscription is fixed for Teaching Staff membership, and the majority enrol as members. Four seats on the Union Council are allotted to them. By the registration fee arrangement, all students are admitted automatically to membership of the Union, whereas prior to 1933 membership was purely voluntary, and was actually about one­ fortieth of its present number.

In 1933 a new Constitution was drawn up for the Union, and now at the beginning of each Session, elections are held through the College for the office of Chairman of the Union, and for the twenty-two Departmental representatives' seats on the governing Council. The new Council then meets, and elects its Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, and various sub­committees to deal with finance, the management of the College Refectory, Common Room, sports and social activities, and their reports are presented to the Union Council at its monthly meetings. The Principal of the College, Dr. W. E. Fisher, O.B.E. (or his nominee) is an Ex-Officio Member of the Union Council, and the S.T.U. owes much to his wise counsel and genuine interest in Union affairs.

Generally speaking, the social activities of the S.T.U. are self-supporting, but the continued development of the Sports Section, with all the needs and requirements of its various teams, is a substantial and (we all agree) necessary charge on Union funds. The Sports Section holds a front place in local sporting activities.

The College Refectory, providing reasonably-priced meals and refreshments, is also guaranteed against any possible loss. Overhead and replacement costs naturally form a considerable item of expenditure, but as far as possible the Union's policy is to administer the Refectory for the full benefit of all students and teachers, without profit or loss. Other activities are also financially guaranteed where necessary. There are also Affiliated Societies of the Union functioning in the College, including an active Dramatic Society.

As the Union is a voluntarily-run organisation, the general administrative expenses are comparatively small, and every assistance is afforded for promoting new activities where the necessary support is forthcoming.

The Union encourages new students to take an active interest in Union affairs, and holds a Freshers' Welcome at the commencement of each Session to introduce "Freshers" to the life of the College. It also admits to Membership on payment of an annual subscription, former Students of Organised Courses of the College, and many old students retain their connection with the College and the Union by this means. They are allotted three seats on the Union Council, and when old students meet at Annual Soirees, many happy days are recalled.

During the war years, the activities of the S. T. U. were naturally restricted, but kept going, and the future is full of promise for this time-honoured organisation, which has so definite a place in the life of our fine College.
 
                                                                                                                                    A. S. JORDAN,
                                                                                                                                         Chairman.

The Chairman's address. Courtesy of David Parsons.

 

The Students and Teachers Union Council, 1947 to 1948

Back row, left to right: W. B. Fellows, E. Waldron, Miss S. M. Wilkes, F. C. Bate, F. Morrison, F. H. Anderson, Miss M. Cooper, J. Williams, ?
Middle row, left to right: N. Barnett, D. Roberts, Miss S. Waldron, Miss J. Nichols, B. Thomas, J. W. Pool, Miss P. Whistance, ? D. H. Westwood, ?
Front row, left to right: E. Wells, F. Gobourn (Hon. Treasurer), J. C. Bennett (Asst. Hon. Sec.), Dr. W. E. Fisher, A. S. Jordan (Chairman), A. J. Locke (Hon. Sec.), Mrs. M. Fownes, J. Grieve, ?

Courtesy of David Parsons.

 

Technical Education in Wolverhampton

Part 1.  Dr. W. O. Henderson.

One of the many results of the Industrial Revolution was that new methods of technical education had to be devised. In the days when the craftsman worked in his own home, or in a small workshop, the apprenticeship system gave the necessary technical instruction to one generation of young workers after another. A small number of apprentices worked under the immediate supervision of a master craftsman, who was responsible both for their technical training and for their general well being. But when huge factories developed, and many of the formerly independent craftsmen became "hands" who tended machines, the old apprenticeship system could no longer be worked satisfactorily. Eventually, with the establishment of science classes and technical colleges, new methods of training were devised to suit the industrial age. The young worker was trained partly in the factory and partly in the new technical schools. In the engineering and metal trades of the Black Country the small workshop survived far longer than in the great textile centres of Lancashire and Yorkshire. Nevertheless, here, too, large factories appeared in which the old apprenticeship system had to be replaced, or drastically modified by the introduction of new methods of training young workers. Among the larger works in Wolverhampton in the early and mid nineteenth century were the Shrubbery Ironworks (Thorneycroft), the Chillington Ironworks (John Barker), the japan works of Walton & Company (at the famous Old Hall), Shoolbread and Loveridge, Edward Perry and others, the paint works of Charles Mander, the toy works of Evans & Cartwright (at Whistle Hall), the enamel works of the Jones Brothers, and the lock manufactory of Chubb.

Wolverhampton was not so fortunate as Birmingham, where Sir Josiah Mason's munificent gift of £180,000 enabled a Science College to be opened in 1882, which, twenty years later, developed into a University. Lacking financial help of this kind the origins of technical education in Wolverhampton took the form of much more modest ventures.

Two factors in the early development of technical education in England deserve notice. First, scientific and technical studies began as part of general education. Secondly, the early provision of adult and technical education was almost entirely by private enterprise. Neither the State nor the Local Authorities played any significant part in promoting technical studies until the last decade of the nineteenth century. Funds were raised by public subscription and by students' fees.

Wolverhampton was affected in the nineteenth century by two important voluntary movements which promoted adult education, they were the Mechanics' Institutes and the Working Men's Colleges. Professor Birkbeck established classes for "mechanics" at Glasgow University, and lectured successfully on the mechanical properties of solids and fluids to large audiences of working men. After he left Glasgow, his students established an independent institution of their own (1823). Three years later a similar institution was started in London. By 1850 there were over 600 mechanics' institutes in the country. In Wolverhampton a Tradesman's and Mechanics' Library was established in 1835, which developed from an earlier library of 1827. The mechanics' Library offered its members popular lectures as well as a reading room and facilities for borrowing books. On its premises an important exhibition of local art and crafts (one of the first of its kind in the country) was organised by George Wallis in 1838. The active life of the Mechanics' Library was a short one, for by 1845 its membership had declined and it was in debt. In 1847 it was revived as the Mechanics' Institute but again its active life was a short one, for by 1850 its committee reported that "the Institution was not receiving that support from the public which it deserved."

While mechanics' institutes had perhaps an unduly utilitarian outlook, the working men's colleges of the fifties, inspired by F. D, Maurice, the Christian Socialist, stressed humane and moral studies, though technical classes were not neglected. In Wolverhampton, Henry Hartley Fowler, a rising local politician, a future Mayor and a future Cabinet Minister was actively interested in the founding of a Working Men's College (1857).

At the first annual meeting of the College, Fowler discussed the aims of adult education on lines which are by no means out of date. He said that the aim of adult education was not to turn working men into scholars, but to improve their competence as craftsmen and their value to the community as citizens. Regard the influence of this education in respect to the relation of the working man and his master. Depend upon it that it will be the dawn of a better day for masters as well as workmen, when workmen understand the why and wherefore of their work, the principles of that mechanism.

There were only 45 students and the funds available amounted to no more than £65. In the following year the enterprise came to an end. Another educational institution of some importance a century ago was the School of Art, originally established in Castle Street in 1851. Shortly afterwards £4,000 was raised for a new building in Darlington Street which was opened in 1854. The school was in difficulties for a time, but in 1873 it had 173 students. In 1885 it was merged into the new Municipal School of Art.

In the seventies the Corporation at last began to make some modest provision for adult and technical education. The Town Council's Free Library was opened in 1870 in Queen Square. It had some 2,000 volumes from the Mechanics Institute and a small library from the Working Men's College. In August 1872, the Free Library was moved to the premises formerly used as the "Public Office" (police station and fire brigade) in Garrick Street.

In that winter, John Elliott, the able and public spirited first local municipal librarian, established regular evening Classes in a variety of technical, scientific, commercial and general subjects. It has been claimed that the Wolverhampton Library was "the first among all the other Free Libraries to set the example in this direction." The number of enrolments in the first session was 348. The students were normally over 14 years of age, but there were exceptions, as in the case of the eleven years old boy who studied music and gained a choristership at an Oxford College.

Part 2, 1883-1911.  G. F. Chell, Esq.

When I joined the Free Library Staff as a Junior in 1883, the Free Library Classes, as they were then called, were firmly established. Commenced in 1873, 21 classes enrolled about 270 students; by 1883 the student entries were 945. John Elliot, Wolverhampton's first Librarian, acted as Secretary, and it was largely due to his ability and enthusiasm that the classes developed and made such progress.

The building in which they were housed was situated in Garrick Street, on the site now occupied by the Savoy Picture House. Prior to its use as a Library it had been the Public Offices, including Magistrates' Court, police quarters, and cells for prisoners. After their removal to the present Town Hall the building did a short spell as a hospital, during an epidemic. Owing to the generosity of Mr. Isaac Jenks, who was Mayor of the town 1872-3, the prisoners' cells were converted into a classroom, and will be remembered by many of the older residents of the town as the Jenks Room. This was reserved for the science classes, and it was in this room also that the Popular Saturday Evening Lectures started in 1875. The cost of meeting in dull, dark rooms, with scanty equipment, was partly maintained out of the Library Rate, which was one penny in the pound, producing in 1874 about £800. In 1896 a report on the educational work of the Town Council admitted that the Garrick Street premises were "perhaps one of the worst Free Library buildings in the country, for a town of this size." They were inadequate when compared with those of the College, but provided a measure of practical instruction of which keen students made good use. Three examples of this keenness of youths, who with only the elementary education of that day, climbed the ladder of success: Francis Watts, whose special subject was Chemistry, secured an appointment in the West Indies, became a member of the Legislature, and was subsequently knighted for his services; Charles M. Webb, whose special subject was Mathematics, won a Scholarship to Cambridge University, gained a post in the Indian Civil Service and after a long and distinguished service in Burma, including the Vice-Chairmanship of Rangoon University, retired with the decoration of K.C.S.LE.; Charles Jefcoat, a fitter, attending classes in Engineering, at one period actually earning five evenings each week, journeying to Walsall and Birmingham for subjects he couldn't get in Wolverhampton, gained a Whitworth Scholarship, and became Principal of a Technical School in Ireland. These are typical examples of results achieved by the students who were determined to acquire knowledge.

The social life of the College began to develop in 1883 when, at the suggestion of Alderman Joseph Jones, the Chairman of the Free Library Committee, a reunion after the Christmas vacation was held on January 7th, the whole building being occupied by exhibits and entertainment. The Wolverhampton Telephone Exchange was then housed in a room at the top of the building, and here a number of receivers were fitted and connected with Walsall, where an entertainment was being given. The attendance was limited to students, and the profit, about £6, was given to the Prize Fund. This became an annual event. In 1886 it was held in the Exchange Hall, dancing being included, and students were permitted to introduce a friend.

As more accommodation was required, the 1887 Soirée was held in the Drill Hall, Stafford Street. Each succeeding year seemed to add to its popularity and on one occasion it was estimated that 1,200 persons were dancing in the large Hall, while entertainments, scientific experiments and exhibitions were being held in the other rooms. It was here the first flashlight photograph of the Dance Hall was taken by two enthusiastic students and some hundreds of copies were sold.

In 1902 the Library moved to the building in Cleveland Road, leaving more space for the Classes now known as the Science and Technical School. By partitioning rooms, more accommodation for classes was provided and new subjects were added to the programme. In 1903 the Education Bill brought the work under the Education Committee, and the late Councillor A. Weaver, a former student, who became Chairman of the Technical Sub-Committee, a position he occupied until his death in 1917. Dr. J. Denis Coales was appointed the School's first Principal in 1911,

Social activities rapidly extended from 1903. The Student's Reference Library was formed, Sir Alfred Hickman and others made donations of books and money, whilst the Students and Teachers Union, recently formed, made grants from its funds, which were accumulated from the members' subscriptions, profits on the annual Soirée, March Social, Annual Excursion and the Reunion held immediately prior to the opening of the new Session Students' Societies within the Union, which began to be formed, comprising Engineering, Dramatic, Debating, Cercle Francais and Chemical.

In this old and shabby building, with inadequate and out of date equipment, dubbed by the Inspectors of the Board of Education, The Rabbit "Warren," the Science and Technical School continued to thrive, but those who worked in it, looked forward to the time when a new building and equipment worthy of the town should bring youth its fuller opportunities for further education:

The technical and commercial classes were then scattered in Garrick Street, Dunkley Street, Old Hall Street and elsewhere. Two thirds of the capital charges were to be met by the Borough and one third by the county. The running costs of a new college were to be shared according to the number of students attending the college from each area.

The scheme for a new technical college was long delayed, first by the war of 1914-18, and then by a lively controversy over the proposed demolition of the historic Deanery House to make room for the new buildings. The Deanery was a fine example of late seventeenth century domestic architecture, and may have been built from a design by Sir Christopher Wren. Its most famous tenant had been William Wood, the Staffordshire ironmaster who had lived there for 21 years, (1692-1713). Every schoolboy knows how Wood's patent for making copper halfpence for Ireland was attacked by Swift in The Drapier Letters, and how Walpole ultimately cancelled the patent. Another well-known tenant was William Parke, bookseller and newspaper publisher, who lived at the Deanery from about 1851 to 1876. He has been described as a "man of learning, education and culture" who entertained largely at the Deanery and was visited by and on terms of friendship with many of the leading men of the day.

Charles Dickens visited Parke at the Deanery in 1858. It is of interest to recall that Ellen Thorneycroft Fowler in her novel A Double Thread referred to "Silverhampton's" Deanery. It was, she wrote, "panelled throughout with black oak, and boasted one of the finest carved staircases in the County." Between 1877 and 1904 the Deanery was used by the local Conservative Club, and many leading statesmen were entertained there.

When the Corporation bought the Deanery House and its grounds for educational purposes, strenuous efforts were made to secure the presentation of the building, which was one of considerable architectural interest. It was suggested that the house itself might be adapted for use as the administrative offices of the new Technical College, while laboratories and classrooms might be erected in the grounds. This scheme was however eventually rejected, partly because of the expense involved. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners who had owned the property between 1848 and 1912 had sadly neglected the premises, and partly because of the undesirability of having the administrative and teaching portions of the proposed College in separate buildings. After further delays the Board of Education held up the scheme in 1921 on grounds of economy, the Deanery House was pulled down. The Board Room of the Technical College contains panelling removed from the old Deanery House.

In 1922 the antiquated Garrick Street premises, in which some classes were still held, threatened to collapse, and the Board of Education then agreed to the erection of the present Engineering Block on the Deanery site. In 1933 the rest of the existing buildings were opened. The number of students rose from 837 in 1922-3 to 1,632 in 1930-1 and over 4,000 in 1946-7.

If the early history of technical education in Wolverhampton can boast of no great figures who dominate the scene it had many pioneers whose labours deserve to be remembered. Present day students at the Technical College owe a debt to men like H. H. Fowler who inspired the establishment of the Working Men's College, John Elliott who founded the Free Library science classes, Alderman Jenks who found the money for the first science classroom, Joseph and John Jones who gave the land on which the chemistry laboratory in Garrick Street was built and Alfred Hickman who subscribed generously to the fund for erecting the first metallurgical laboratory. It is largely to the work of such men and to several generations of teachers and officials that Wolverhampton owes its present system of technical education.

Courtesy of David Parsons.

 

Recollections…. Rugger Club

The first authentic record of a Rugby match in connection with the College takes us back to the winter of 1932, when a scratch side was raised to play Tettenhall College on the Newbridge Memorial Ground. The result was a win for Tettenhall College by 8 pts, to 6. Of those who took part, several names stand out in the memory. The Tech, team was captained by H. L. Haslegrave at stand-off half, now Principal at Leicester Technical College. His partner to work the scrum was Alan Pritchard of golfing family fame, who, about half-time, had the lobe of his ear torn, and bears the scar today. His place was taken over by Don Murphy, now somewhere in South Wales. The three-quarters included Turner, from Walsall, and E. G. Singleton, now helping to run our local transport system. The writer of this article was the last line of defence at full-back, and he missed converting the first try, or we might have drawn the game. The arrangement was that Turner and myself should exchange positions at half-time, but this never happened, probably owing to our respective merits in our original positions. I wonder however we lost!

Others I can remember were H. B. Wright, an outstanding forward, very prominent in the line-out; and another whose name has slipped memory but whom I next ran into halfway through the war, after he had been on the 'Ark Royal' when torpedoed. After the match we were entertained at Tettenhall College, and enjoyed ourselves in their swimming bath. Of their team I remember C. McLachlan, who scored one of their tries and who eventually was brought down over Germany in one of our early raids and was a prisoner of war for several years. He is still playing for Wolverhampton and occasionally for North Midlands.

The next period started in 1937 when Arthur Jordan, no Rugger player but a great organiser, in conjunction with G. Bayliss of the Wolverhampton Club, got the Club going again. Of the players who took part in those games I can remember the Laflin brothers, Harry and John; D. L. Wood, a flying wing three-quarter; Jim Noble; W. Layman, who was killed in the assault on Walcheren Island in 1944; 'Peter' Furniss, who is back with us again as our present Vice-Captain, after seeing military service in several parts of the Empire; K. Wrigley, who got badly shattered during the war; and David Bamlett, scrum-half and also a Hockey player; he was good at both, and there was keen competition for his services, but who died as the result of active service. Our then Secretary, D. L. Wood, eventually piloted one of the McRobert gift planes in the Middle East.

Later on the team developed into a very strong side, including such outstanding players as Sam Bridge, eventually Captain until he joined the R.A.F.; Jack and Bill Williams; Ronnie Mawhood; Jack Ransom; Tony Clark; Ken Baker, a convert from soccer and a marvellous dribbler, who has been helping us since his return from active service and who has now gone as engineer to the City Transport in Hong Kong; Bob Bayliff; Peter Spice; Bill Clennel, a sterling full-back; Eric Bentley; Don Lowrey and Hugh Greehan, who has since qualified for the Caterpillar Club by having to jump from a damaged plane while in the R.A.F. Surely this was the Vintage Year, and we had some marvellous games, not all of them Rugby!

Then came the war, and our playing strength gradually faded away; as our members went in for the sterner game of war, and there ensued a lean period. However our first batch of Cadets came along and, after trying to run a Rugger side on their own, they decided to come into the College club, after which we had a period of plenty. More groups of Cadets arrived, and we had too many players from whom to choose.

The job of Hon. Treasurer for quite a while changed hands frequently, as members, even after election, went into the forces. However, we managed to keep financially sound! Some of our outstanding players in those days were R. W. Charles from Lydney G.S., Gil Roach, K. D. Hacker, R. J. Kenneison, G. Lyndon, P. Culverwell, Tich Cartwright, now a Paratrooper, P. Williams, L. Johnson, J. Forward, J. Youings and K. Wilson. In 1945-46, R. W. Charles was elected Captain, as a mark of respect to the Cadets and as a tribute to his work as assistant secretary and his ability as a player. He came to us as a forward, but we converted him into a dashing centre-three. In 1946-47 practically all our players had gone into the forces, and so we had a hiatus with no team that season. Then some of our old players returned and the Club was re-started, owing to the enthusiasm of L. Johnson, who got busy and arranged fixtures, and is now our new Captain. The record for the current season is given elsewhere, but in one game at Marsh Lane we had the unique spectacle of three brothers, Frank, Terry and Michael Moore all playing, and their parents, sister and one wife, all spectators!  Good old Eire!

The 1947 Rugby Team

Back Row, left to right: J. H. Adam, F. Febrocq, S. Cross, G. Lyndon, W. Withall, D. W. Hughes.
Middle Row, left to right: R. Oakley, R. M. Higgins, W. D. Dodshon, G. Gittins, P. H. Willliams, M. Moore, D. Cornelius.
Front Row, left to right: Whitehouse, A. H. L. Lovell (Secretary), L. Johnson (Captain),
Mr. K. B. Milne (Chairman), F. G. Furniss (Vice Captain), T. Moore.

At the time of going to press we can announce that at long last we have procured a new strip! As our other strip had lasted since 1937, by the frantic efforts of our war-time committee and a bit of  make do and mend, we can congratulate ourselves, and we are having our photograph taken in our new regalia to celebrate, and help illustrate this first edition of our illustrious journal.

As most of the foregoing narrative has been written from memory, I trust I will be forgiven if I have omitted any old player of distinction. The majority of those mentioned have become members of H. M. Forces sooner or later, and as they gradually return to 'Civvy Street' I can assure them that the College, the S.T.U., and especially the Rugger Club will be glad to re-enlist them. Au Revoir! The prolate spheroid is calling you!

K. B. MILNE.

Courtesy of David Parsons.
  

Football Team.

Back Row, left to right: M. Rowley (Trainer), A. Robbins, R. Starr, J. Gough, S. Robbins, L. Heath, G. Miles, A. Clay (Captain), T. Owen (Committee).
Front Row, left to right, J. Caulton, D. Bayliss, W. Owen, W. Sharratt, A. Clarke.

Courtesy of David Parsons.

 

The Annual Sports Supper was held on Saturday, January 24th, in the College Refectory. There was an overwhelming demand for tickets, and we had to disappoint many of our supporters. Among the visitors were Dr. and Mrs. Fisher, and Miss D. Fisher, F. Lonsdale Mills and Mrs. Mills, Mrs. Milne, H. J. Barratt, A. S. Jordan (Chairman S.T.U.), A. F. Bendall (Vice-Chairman S.T.U.), A. J. Locke (Hon. Sec.), and F. Gobourn (Treasurer). Mr. P. Morris represented the "Express and Star."

Apologies were received from Alderman and Mrs. J. Clarke, Mr. and Mrs. G. Chell, and Captain Schwabe. Alderman A. Lane and Mrs. Lane (Mayor and Mayoress) were unable to be present at the supper, but honoured us with their presence at the College Dance which followed.

Mr. K. B. Milne (Chairman of the Sports' Committee proposed) "The King," and "Absent Friends." F. Lonsdale Mills, in a very eloquent speech, expressed his gratification at being invited as a guest, and thanked the Sports' Clubs for allowing him to bring with him Mr. J. Coulter, an Australian friend, acting in the Moral re-armament play, "The Forgotten Factor."

Mr. Mills promised the Union his full support in all matters, and further amplified his promise of a year ago by informing the Sports Club that he was hoping to provide two hockey pitches, two soccer pitches, and one rugby pitch, on the proposed race course playing field. His toast, "The Union," was responded to by Mr. A. S. Jordan.

Mr. B. Thomas, Sports Secretary, reported the birth of new clubs in the Union, and a renaissance in the life of already established clubs. His toast "Our Guests," was responded to by Mr. P. Morris.

Dr. P. Young, in proposing "The Sports Club", charmed his hearers with a very witty, chatty speech, and Mr. K. B. Milne responded.

The Secretaries or Captains of the various clubs then gave their annual reports, and Miss D. Fisher presented the "Arthur Jordan" Cup for the best performance of the year, won by the Senior Soccer Team, to Mr. A. Clay, Captain.

The proceedings terminated with a vote of thanks, proposed by Mr. A. J. Lock, to the Refectory Staff for the wonderful repast they had provided.

Courtesy of David Parsons.

 


The Hockey Team. Courtesy of David Parsons.

 

On Monday, 12th January, the Students' and Teachers' Union held its 57th Annual Soiree in the Civic Hall. Classes for that evening were cancelled, thanks to the Governors, and over 900 attended, a considerable increase in numbers. The band was Reg. Bartlam's, and refreshments were provided by Messrs. Harris.

The evening was a great success in every way. Some were lucky enough to win spot prizes; others danced with abandon; others again joined those who also serve who only stand and wait, being content to watch the dancers from the sides of the Hall.

We were glad to receive a visit from the Mayor and Mayoress, who stayed to enjoy the dances with the rest of us. Many old students and old friends of the Union came as guests of the Union or as visitors, and it was in every sense a Reunion. It is interesting to record that Mr. and Mrs. G. F. Chell achieved yet another Soiree; elsewhere in this Magazine Mr. Chell has recorded his attendance at the first Reunion as far back as 1883.

The increased attendance was a clear indication that, by returning to a date early in the New Year, the Union is making the Soiree a much more popular event. Previous to 1939, it was always on the first Monday of the New Year, and would have been this year but for the intervention of a Symphony Concert. We hope that arrangements have been made to return, in 1949, to this favourite first Monday.

Courtesy of David Parsons.


Return to the
previous page