It’s now hard to imagine that the
quiet cul-de-sac at the top of Hospital Street was once
part of the main route through Wolverhampton, to and
from the west, carrying large amounts of traffic into
Shropshire and North Wales via Cleveland Street, Salop
Street and Chapel Ash.
It was built on land that had been
owned by the Duke of Cleveland, the principal local
landowner and so named after him. He was previously Lord
Darlington but was given the title the Duke of Cleveland
as a reward for his involvement in the Reform Bill in
1832. The road was built in between 1828 and 1830 as
part of the Town Commissioners' road improvement scheme.
The new straight road avoided
diversions around the existing roads in the town centre
and was part of Thomas Telford’s Holyhead Road, known as
the A41, where the road went through the West Midlands.
The Holyhead Road was the largest road building scheme
since Roman occupation.
Cleveland Road became a cul-de-sac
in the 1980s when Ring Road St Georges was built.