The Royal Hospital

This one of Wolverhampton's grandest buildings, which was Grade II listed on the 4th June, 1991. The foundation stone for the South Staffordshire General Hospital and Dispensary, as it was first known was laid in 1846 on land purchased from the Duke of Cleveland. The three storey building was designed by Wolverhampton architect Edward Banks in the Italian and Roman Doric style. It originally had 80 beds and opened on the 1st January 1849.

Since then it has been greatly extended. An out patient block and a wing for in-patients opened in 1872 followed by a fever ward in 1873. The Bell Medical Library opened in 1877 and the nurses home was formally opened by Lady Dartmouth on the 12th June 1908.

The Edward VII Memorial Wing opened on the 13th November, 1912 and in 1928 King George V decreed that the hospital should now be known as The Royal Hospital. The hospital applied for and was granted a coat of arms in July 1930.

Construction began in 1937 on a new four storey ward alongside Sutherland Place and several single story wards were built nearby in the 1960s, when many of the existing wards were renovated. The Royal Hospital closed in 1997.


The derelict hospital, as seen on the 4th January, 2003.


The front yard and the building that contained the kitchens, the X-Ray department, the Chapel, the Dyas Unit, and the Malet Ward. Also seen on the 4th January, 2003.


Another view of the front yard.


The grand entrance, seen on the 13th December 2001.


Looking towards the Canteen, the Edward Ward and the Alexandra Ward on the 13th December 2001.


The view in the opposite direction looking towards the lodge. Seen on the 13th December 2001.


The lodge.


The Blood Bank. Also seen on the 13th December, 2001.


Pathology, with the medical lecture room to the right.


The Edward VII Memorial Wing seen on the 13th December, 2001.


Looking towards the Boiler House on the 13th December, 2001.


The building on the right housed the medical records in the basement, Outpatients on the ground floor and residences on the first floor. Beyond is the Mortuary, the Laundry and the Boiler House. Also seen on the 13th December, 2001.


On the left is the Mortuary, on the right the building above.


Restoration work, seen on the 16th July, 2009.


Another view of the restoration work.


Another view from the 16th July, 2009.


Demolition in progress.


A final view of the building.


The Blood Bank awaiting demolition on the 3rd June, 2009.


Sutherland Place on the 27th March, 2007.


The Workshop, seen on the 13th December, 2001.


In the background is the boiler house. Also seen on the 13th December, 2001.


The eastern end of Accident and Emergency.


The main entrance to Accident and Emergency, seen on the 13th December, 2001.


Another view of Accident and Emergency.


Another view of the main entrance to Accident and Emergency, seen on the 13th December, 2001.


In the background is Physiotherapy. Also seen on the 13th December, 2001.


The four storey building from the late 1930s, seen on the 27th March, 2007.


The four storey building seen from across the car park, on the 25th January, 2009.


A close-up view of the four storey building, shortly before demolition.


The four storey building housed Occupational therapy, the swimming pool and the Adams, Scott/Twentyman, the Harper Millar and the Sheldon/Langley wards. Also Maxillo-Facial Surgery. Seen on the 13th December, 2001.


Another view of the building. Also from the 13th December, 2001.


The western end of the building, seen on the 19th May, 2002.


The Operating Theatres, Canteen and Telephone Exchange, seen on the 13th December, 2001.


The Stores, Maclaren Ward, Dartmouth Ward and Library. Also seen on the 13th December, 2001.


The Kitchens, X-Ray, Chapel, Dyas Unit and Malet Ward.


The rear entrance behind the Nurses Home. Seen on the 19th May, 2002.


The rear of the Nurses Home on the 13th December, 2001.


The derelict Nurses Home on the 13th December, 2001.


The main entrance to the Nurses Home, seen on the 13th December, 2001.


A final view of the Nurses Home.


The Medical Lecture Room and on the right the Visitor's Flat, seen on the 13th December, 2001.


Cleveland House seen from across the car park in 2009.


Another view of Cleveland House which housed the School of Physiotherapy and the Radio Isotope Department. In the background is the Cobalt Unit. 25th January, 2009.


Cleveland House again from the 3rd June, 2009.


Another view of derelict Cleveland House.


Demolition on the 3rd June, 2009.


Another view from the 3rd June, 2009.


Sutherland Place. 18th December, 2015.


The end of Cleveland House. 11th January, 2017.


Another view of the demolition of Cleveland House. 11th January, 2017.


Cleveland House rapidly disappears.


The back of the Nurses Home, seen on the 14th May, 2017.


The back of the main building, also seen on the14th May, 2017.


The back of the main building seen on the 8th August, 2019.


Another view from the 8th August, 2019.


   
Return to the
Dixons Building
  Return to
the contents
  Proceed to
Bakers Shoes