The middle part of the memorial.
|Wednesbury War Memorial in Walsall Street, on the corner
of Hollies Drive was officially unveiled on the 4th November
A large number of people attended the ceremony
including members of the general public, boy scouts, girl
guides, council officials, local magistrates, subscribers to
the memorial, and ex-servicemen, along with a guard of
Unfortunately many names were missing from the original
plaques and so several years ago the Wednesbury War Memorial
Campaign Group set up a committee to carry out research, and
produce a new, more comprehensive list of the fallen, which
eventually included the names of 1047 people.
A total of 424 names were added to the original list of
those who had died in the two World Wars, and new plinths
and plaques were produced by W. E. Jones, Monumental Masons.
Around £57,000 pounds had been raised for the project
thanks to Sandwell Council and a number of subscribers.