|Upper Penn began life as a small farming community, centred
around Vicarage Road and St. Bart's Church, with fields covering
around 1,300 acres, stretching southwards to Gospel End, eastwards
to Wolverhampton Road East and northwards to Merry Hill. As time
progressed and Penn Road was improved by the turnpike trust, set up
in 1761, cottages, shops and public houses also appeared there.
The first detailed map of the area, published by the Ordnance Survey
in 1831 to 1838 shows most of the early buildings and gives a good
impression of the early village.