History of the website.

The website is now over 20 years old. It first appeared in August 1999 as a small website containing a few articles about local history. Since those days it has grown to be one of the largest local history websites in the country. I hope you will continue to enjoy your future visits to the site.
                                                                                                      Bev Parker.


The latest additions to the website over the last year:

September 20: Coseley Through the Ages has been added to the Black Country Towns menu. The sections are Beginnings, Manorial Records, Religion and Churches, canals, railways, roads, Into the Nineteenth Century, public houses, Industries, the 20th century, recent times and References. Images of Wolverhampton Polytechnic in the education menu in the exhibition services hall and the articles menu, has been updated and the following sections have been added: The Early Years, The Wolverhampton and Staffordshire Technical College, the National Foundry College, Day and Evening Courses in 1947, the Technical College in the 1950s, the 1958-59 prospectus, the 1970s, the dept of electrical and electronic engineering, the 1980s, the 1990s, references and the sections on 'C Block' and the Old Post Office have been extended. The story of Wolverhampton Girls' High School in the articles menu has also been extended. A new addition to The Twentieth Century in The Annals of Tipton is a 1961-62 Trades Directory. The following sections in the story of Thomas Parker in the museum electrical and electronic engineering hall have been updated: Early Years and Return to Coalbrookdale.

August 20: The story of Bilston clinic has been added to the articles menu and the local areas menu along with the story of the early years of Bilston College of Further Education. The story of Arthur Lockwood and his wonderful industrial paintings and his paintings of the Crown Nail Company in the art gallery, in the exhibition have been updated. The story of Isaiah Platt Limited has been added to the industries section in The History of Wednesbury, along with the updated story of Edwin Richards & Sons and the story of the 1850s industrial unrest in the mining industry, which has been extended. Additions have been made to the story of tube making in the industries section in The History of Wednesbury. The history of Samuel Platt Limited in the industries section in A Brief History of Darlaston has also been extended.   A new addition to the Post War Years in A Brief History of Darlaston is a 1961-2 trades directory. The section about Ocker Hill power station in The Annals of Tipton has been extended. A look at the Mander Centre at the start of the Millennium has been added to the Old Photos and Images of Wolverhampton menu and the exhibition shopping hall. A new addition to the Penn section in Local Areas is the story of 19th century Upper Penn. The DMW story in the motorcycles section in the museum transport hall has been extended.

July 20: A new addition to the articles menu is City Centre Developments in the 1920s and 1930s.  The section on the Willen Key Company Limited in the Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers has been extended, as has the section on Richard M. Lord Limited. A new addition to the More Articles about Darlaston's Past menu is an article about shopping in Darlaston in the 1890s. The history of Viking Cycles in the cycles section in the museum transport hall has been extended as has the story of Bean cars in the cars section. Additions have been made to the section about St. Chad's Church and the section about Hickman Park in listed buildings, and to the section about St. Leonard's Church, Bilston in interesting buildings. More photos have been added to Images of Wolverhampton Polytechnic in the education menu in the exhibition services hall. The story of the Old Steam Mill in Industries Alongside the BCN in the museum other trades hall has been extended. The story of Kirkpatrick's foundry in Walsall industries in The Story of Walsall has been updated, as has the story of Springdale Methodist Church.

June 20: A new addition to Old Photographs and Images of Wolverhampton and the Surrounding Area is More Images of Wolverhampton from Old Postcards. Another new addition, West Park From Old Postcards has been added to the new Parks section in the Exhibition Services Hall. A new addition to the Religion menu in History in the Community is Ewan Christian's report on St. Peter's Church and also an updated version of St. John's In The Square. The section about Lindy Lou's shop in listed buildings has been updated with some new photos. Photos have also been added to the article about Methodism in Blakenhall and Parkfield in the Religion menu. Wellington Tube Works has been added to the industries section in The Annals of Tipton. The story of F. H. Lloyd and Company Limited in the industries section in The History of Wednesbury has been extended with an article on the new heavy foundry. Additions have also been made to the Wednesbury industries page, the story of tube making, The Borough Council and its Works, Some Shops and Businesses in the Early 20th Century and Into the 21st century.

May 20: Several adverts have been added to the cinemas section in The Annals of Tipton, in which the section called The 20th Century has been extended and a new addition about Slum Housing has been added, as has the Growing Town section. A new section describing shops and shopping in the middle years of the nineteenth century has been added to shopping in the past in the Bantock Arcade in the exhibition. The stories of Joseph Sankey & Sons Limited, and the Midland Metal Spinning Company Limited in the museum metalware hall have also been extended. The story of Mander Brothers in the museum entrance hall has also been extended, with some photographs taken at the Heath Town site. Additions have been made to the Early Photographic Studios section in the photographers section in Bantock Arcade in the exhibition. Additions have also been made to the following sections in the story of St. John's In The Square in listed buildings: The New Church and Restoration Work. The Take Over section in the history of Star cars, in the car section in the museum transport hall has been extended.

April 20: Additions have been made to the story of the Horseley Company in the industries section of The Annals of Tipton. The following sections in The Story of Walsall have been extended: Second Half of the 19th Century, the story of Pat Collins, The First World War and the story of the new Town Hall in The Early Twentieth Century. The story of James Gibbons Limited and also their 1952 catalogue in the Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers has been extended along with the sections about John Harper & Company Limited, J. Legge & Company Limited, Anglo-American Lock Company Limited, Henry Squire & Sons Limited, Thomas Morgan & Sons Limited and Enoch Pinson Limited. The story of Samuel Mills Slater and his wife, Mary Julia Slater, along with the story of John George Rose in Notable 19th Century Darlastonians and also the Darlaston pubs section in A Brief History of Darlaston has been extended. The following sections in Willenhall Through the Ages have been extended: C and L Hill Limited, Religion and Churches, Into the 20th Century and Life in the 19th Century.

March 20: A new addition to the Cycles Section in the museum transport hall is Harry Lester from Walsall. The hospitals section in The Story of Walsall has been extended and a some adverts of shops from 1902 have been added to Early Twentieth Century. The section on St. Peter's Collegiate Church and the section on St. Peter's Gardens in listed buildings have both been extended. The story of St. Catherine's Convalescent Home, Penn has been added to the articles menu, the Penn menu, and the exhibition health services menu. Additions have been made to Evans Pumps Today in the story of Joseph Evans in the museum engineering hall. Additions have also been made to the story of Bayliss, Jones and Bayliss in part 1 of industries alongside the BCN. The story of the lost shops at the southern end of Worcester Street in lost buildings of Wolverhampton has been extended. More photographs have been added to the Brownhills section in Recent Times in The Story of Walsall. A section about Tipton's annual carnival in the 1990s has been added to The Twentieth Century in The Annals of Tipton.

February 20: The story of Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Thorneycroft of Tettenhall Towers has been added to Lives of Local People and the Tettenhall menu. The history of the Patent Shaft and Axletree Company, Other Industries, Public Houses, The Growth of the Town and the Contents section in The History of Wednesbury have been extended. Additions have been made to the history of Shrubbery Ironworks in part 2 of the Industries Alongside the BCN section in the museum other trades hall. A new addition to the Tipton menu is Tipton Adverts Through Time. The following sections in Darlaston industries in A Brief History of Darlaston have been extended: GKN, and Garringtons Limited, as well as the industries section itself. Additions have also been made to the following sections in Willenhall Through the Ages: Life in the 19th Century and The Industrial Town. The following sections in The Story of Walsall have been extended: Second Half of the Nineteenth Century, John Lea and Taylor's Music Shop, Roads, Canals and Railways, Public Houses, Industry, The Leather Industry, Iron Foundries and Iron and Steel. The story of Sankeys of Bilston has been extended and also added to the museum engineering hall. The story of St. Luke's Church, Bilston has been added to the religion menu.

January 20: The story of Darlaston's canals and the references section in A Brief History of Darlaston have been extended, as has the section about Slater Street School in education, Notable Nineteenth Century Darlastonians and Into the Twentieth Century as well as the section on A. G. Sutherland Limited in subsidiaries of Rubery Owen & Company Limited in the industries section. The following sections in Industries Alongside the BCN have also been extended: part 3 the story of Adolphe Crosbie; part 5 the story of T and C Clark & Company Limited. The following sections have been added or extended in the Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers: Bracher and Gripper, Hobbs & Company, Chubb, and Phillips & Son. A new addition to Into The 20th Century in The Story of Walsall  is the story of the Growth of Shopping in Park Street. The story of the Mond Gas Works in The Growing Town section of The Annals of Tipton has been extended. A new addition to the Articles About Wednesbury menu is Adverts from 1916 and 1917. The story of Reade Brothers and Company Limited, manufacturing chemists, in the chemists menu in the chemists section in Bantock Arcade in the exhibition has been extended.

December 19: A brief history of Foster Brothers, tube manufacturers, has been added to the tubes section in the industries section in The History of Wednesbury. The story of Beans Industries and Palethorpes in the industries section of The Annals of Tipton has been extended, as has the industries section itself and The Twentieth Century. Additions have been made to Guy Motors Commercial vehicles in the Guy commercial section and Guy buses in the Guy bus section in the museum transport hall. Additions have also been made to the story of Viking Cycles in the cycles section in the museum transport hall. The section on the 1902 Art and Industrial exhibition in the articles menu, has also been extended. A new addition to the articles menu is an article and photographs about local demolitions and projects carried out by W Hayden & Son Limited. Into the 20th Century, Public Houses and The Development of Local Government in Willenhall Through the Ages have been extended. The story of Henry Harrison and Sons Limited in the Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers has also been extended.

November 19: The story of Cornelius Whitehouse in The History of Wednesbury has been extended and added to the Lives of Local People. The early industries section, also in The History of Wednesbury has been extended with the addition of local potteries. Life in the 19th Century in Willenhall Through the Ages has been extended, as has the story of Garringtons in A Brief History of Darlaston. The following additions have been made to the Gazetteer of Lock and Key MakersCarpenter and Tildesley and Young and Smith. The story of Whitehead Brothers (Wolverhampton) Limited has been added to the printers section in the museum printing hall. A brief description of Ford Electronics Limited has been added to Part 5 of Industries Alongside the BCN in the museum other trades hall and the Transport Services Hall in the Exhibition of Commerce and Services. Additions have been made to the section on the shops at the southern end of Worcester Street that is in Lost Buildings. C. H. Robbins & Son has been added to the Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers. An early industrial photo has been added to the section about boiler explosions and additions have been made to John Thomas's article about St. Peter's chancel.

October 19: The details about St. George's Church and graveyard in the listed buildings section have been updated. The following sections have been added to The Annals of Tipton: The Growing Town, Public Houses, the Tipton section from Harrison and Harrod and Company's 1861 Staffordshire Directory, the Tipton section from Kelly's 1912 Staffordshire Directory, The Twentieth Century, A Terrible Explosion, Cinemas, Ocker Hill Power Station, Zeppelin Raids, the References section, The Development of Local Government, the story of Vono, the story of Revo and the Contents page have also been updated. Additions have been made to the following parts of the industries section in The History of Wednesbury: Tube Making and Hill Top Foundry, and also to the section on Shops and Businesses in the early 20th Century and to Churches and Religion. A new section about Urban dairy farms in Darlaston Green in the early 1900s has been added to the More articles about Darlaston's past menu. More photos have been added to the story of Diamond Motorcycles in the museum transport hall.

September 19: The story of Tony Smith and his family has been added to the Tipton section along with a new Tipton menu. The story of The Local Board, the Industries section, the history of The Steel Nut & Joseph Hampton Limited, the history of Wilkes Limited, and the Post War Years in A Brief History of Darlaston has been extended. A new addition to More Articles About Darlaston's Past is Some Old Darlaston Street Names. The story of The Weldless Steel Tube Company Limited in museum engineering hall 3 has been extended. The story of Reade Brothers & Company Limited in the museum other trades hall and the exhibition chemists section has also been extended. Additions have been made to the story of J. Banks & Company Limited, John Harper & Company Limited, W. M. Pinson and Son Limited, Arthur Shaw and Company Limited, and Joseph Waine & Company Limited in the Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers. The following sections in Willenhall Through the Ages have again been extended: Industrial Town, Religion and Churches, and Into the 20th Century. The 2019 Turner Wolverhampton Reunion has been added to the rallies section in the museum transport hall.